Monday, August 28, 2006

"following" Jesus

I'm a guy trying to follow Jesus. I believe that he said, "follow me" to many people when he was alive in the flesh and that his desire is still for all people to "follow" him. Here's the deal. There seems to be something lost in translation from what he meant by "follow me" then to what he means now.

For instance, to follow Jesus then mean to be physically with him as a student, apprentice, disciple learning to do what he did and become the kind of person that he was. It meant leaving all else that stood in opposition to the new purpose in life. Many times that was family, comforts and jobs.

For a guy today that wants to follow Jesus it doesn't make sense when someone tells me that your just supposed to believe that Jesus was who he said he is. That doesn't sound like following him. So just what does that mean for me today? I guess I have an answer in my head and am trying to live it out. But I guess I wonder more if we all think that Jesus is still speaking the invitation to us today. "Follow me"?

No comments: