Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Missional

"A church which pitches its tents without constantly looking out for new horizons, which does not continually strike camp, is being untrue to its calling. ...[We must] play down our longing for certainty, accept what is risky, and live by improvisation and experiment." -Hans Kung, The Church as the People of God

"The church, when true to its calling, when it is about what God is about, is by far and away the most potent force for transformational change the world has ever seen. It has been that before, is that now, and will be that again." -Alan Hirsch, The Forgotten Ways

What do you think about that? Do you believe that? I am moved by that statement and slapped by it at the same time. What am I doing? What am I living for? How am I making my life count? Is my local church just a local social club? Have we forgotten our roots? That great people who turned the world upside down. Do you think the new president of the United States has more power to change the world than the church? Of course, most of us do (see our bumpers, t-shirts, buttons, signs in yard and commercials). Though I have some doubt, I feel it deep with in me that it is true that "we by far and away are the most potent force for transformational change in the world".

Check this out. How many followers of Jesus and his Way were there in AD100?
A: AD100 as few as 25,000
How many followers of Jesus and his Way were there in AD 310?
A: AD 310 up to 20,000,000!

HOW DID THEY DO THIS?
How did they do this?
How do we again harness this passion and power and purpose to be the agents of transformational change in the world?

No comments: