Friday, October 10, 2008

Becoming Human?


Is our body any more than a hinderance to our spiritual life? Seriously? "I messed up, I'm only human!" Only human?
Where does our body fit in with "Salvation"? "Oh, Salvation comes because I have made a conscious decision to trust Jesus to forgive me, but won't see the real result of that until I die and go to heaven." Seriously?
Did Jesus have an actual body? Real flesh, real blood? Did he have calluses on his feet from walking and on his hands from building and crafting things of wood? Some blatantly say he "only had a form of a body but not real flesh and blood". That would be called Docetism. And that would be blatantly wrong. But some really don't believe he did but in a more subtle way that may not even be clear to them. It's seen as an underlying theme in the statements people make as noted above.

What's the point?

The point is that if you don't think Jesus had a really real body then Salvation is not have any bearing on our real bodies. It's only to guaranty a spiritual existence after death. And that's only half true, thus it is false.

Why are we not blown away when a christian leader falls into sexual sin? Or why aren't we surprised when a Christian person remains bitter their whole lives? Should not we be surprised when a person does NOT continually mature and grow into the kind of loving human being that Jesus was? We are surprised when people ACTUALLY CHANGE! What is up with that except that we have an underlying belief that Jesus primarily came to change our reality after death but not our lives today.

I'm fired up b/c I am in this same position. I want to believe the things that I think about. And I mean believe them at my core and thus reflect them in my being. I believe Jesus had a flesh and blood body and that Salvation is just as much about living the kind of life that Jesus lived as it is spending eternity in paradise with Him. The Body is NOT simply a hinderance to my spiritual life but exactly the CROSSROADS OF EXPERIENCING IT!

"God has given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son, He that has the Son has life." 1 John 5:11-12
"I have come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly." John 10:10
"For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, how much more, being reconciled, shall we be saved by his LIFE." Romans 5:10

Wait a minute..."saved by his LIFE"? I thought we were saved by his...death... well which is it? Yup! Let's think about that together.

No comments: