Monday, September 29, 2008

24hrs of DINO results

Well, it started out really fast. 9 miles laps in about 43 min. Then when night fell we put on our lights, one on our helmet and one on our handlebars so we could see. That slowed our laps down to closer to 50 min. We had about 2.5 hrs to rest in between riding. While the other three people rode there laps, I would change my clothes and lay down but b/c I had taken in energy drinks and my heart was racing so much I could only see the trail and trees flashing before my closed eyes. I think I managed 15-30 min of sleep each time I had a chance to lay down.
But morning came and I was the first to race a morning lap and it took me back down to 44 min. It was refreshing to see the light again. We were really getting tired of trying to see through the fog and dust. Almost everyone had some kind of slide-out or wreck during the night portion including Jeff's broken chain with 2 miles to go. He just rode his bike like a scooter to the finish.
We were always riding in first place. By the end we had over a one lap lead.
Our goal was to break the record of 28 laps in 24 hrs which was set last year. We thought we could get 30 laps in. With 80 minutes left we finished our 28th lap and I set out to do my best to pull a 40 minute lap so to somehow give Jeff a chance to do the same so we could reach our 30 lap goal. So I put the bike in the big ring, which I hadn't ridden in the whole time b/c the hills and technical riding, and rode as fast as I could at that point. When I got close to the finish I realized I was already at 42min. But I kept up the pace just for the heck of it and came across the line with hands up high and met my team mates who had already cracked open a nice cold beer that we toasted to "us, the 24 hrs of DINO team champs".
We actually won the "team spirit award" for our good attitude, our pursuit of a new record and our punctuality to the start/finish line to meet the incoming rider. This was a pleasing surprise! We were given a digital action video camera made just for action sports.
So here's to a great, victorious season!

Here is a link to some pictures from the weekend
http://www.flickr.com/gp/22452033@N05/BFMifE

No comments: