Tuesday, July 18, 2006

the biggerblog

the biggerblog
Could one of the worst things for me be getting what I want when I want? I know that's what we've been taught freedom means. But could that culminate into an accumulation of stuff that insulates me from reality, from God? Then in the small instances I do see Him, do see reality, could it keep me from responding appropriately because I have all this stuff to protect and or deal with? Could it actually mean slavery for me? Being bound to the care and preservation of all my stuff does not sound like the life that I've always dreamed of.

I want to start somewhere. What in my life have I collected because I thought it would bring freedom but now has resulted in slavery? It's crazy. Part of me doesn't want to answer the question because of what I know the result will be. Part of me says, "can't it just be redeemed and used for the kingdom? You don't have to get rid of it do you?". Maybe not, but in large, probably so.

1 comment:

Matt Moberly said...

That's a big question! Colossians 3:9-10 says "...ye have put off the old man with his deeds; And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him" (KJV)

It struck me the other day that "putting off the deeds of the old man" is really how I feel about my struggle with the stuff that's in my grasp and within my grasp. I could have a bigger TV, but in faith, I'm going to "put off" getting one today. And I'll put it off again tomorrow. I know every day, there will be something that I want, that I could convince myself I should have, but I'm just going to keep putting it off and seeing what good things can happen in my life in spite of me not having what I want.

But still... what about the stuff I didn't put off getting yesterday? What about my computers, my clothes, my cars, and my house? To put those off today means actually letting go of them. That's hard. And it's rare that I do it.