Thursday, July 20, 2006

redemptive violence?

Eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth. If we get bombed we bomb back harder to teach them not to bomb. That's what redemptive violence is. I'm beginning to ask some questions about how this is working for the world. I'm beginning to wonder if its right; if its best; if its what Jesus would do.

It seems he does the exact opposite and teaches others to do the same. I know the question is, "what if we get hit on the cheek (bombed) do we just let 'em keep coming?" Well, I would argue if we loved the hitters well in the first place we would'nt have to deal with getting slapped so much. Now I'm just thinking outloud but honestly. Doesn't it make sense that if poverty is in some relation to crime that if followers of The Way would love the poor rightly that we would see much less crime?

I think we've compartmentalized the power of The Way. I heard a story of an elderly woman who had two men break into her home to steal whatever they could find. She walked out and one held her at gun point or knife point while the other grabbed her stuff. The woman began to pray. She prayed outloud for the men who were stealing her stuff. She moved out of love for them. One yelled to the other, "Hey this lady is a follower of Jesus, we can't take her stuff.", and they put it back and took off.

I'm not saying its easy but I want to give it a shot. Trading sin is definately not working. Thoughts?

No comments: