Sunday, July 06, 2008

Deflated

Well, what can I say...you win some and you DNF some. I DNF today...that's Did Not Finish the race at Muscatatuck Park in North Vernon today. We arrived with time to run a practice lap to scout out the trail. We found it rocky on the descents and muddy by the creek crossings yet hard packed on the ridges. Basically, a little of everything. At start time my team mate Jeff and I were coasting along in 3rd and 4th place just waiting for our moment to strike when BANG! A sound I've never heard before that sounded like a rock ripping all the spokes off a bike wheel filled the air. I yelled out, "What was that?" and Jeff, right behind me, said, "That was you!". A rock had ripped a hole in the side of my tire and all my sealant and air had just rushed out! I was done. After two unsuccessful repairs I was deflated. I walked my bike back up to the tent after only 5 minutes of racing. You win some and you DNF some.

2 comments:

Jordan said...

brother - that stinks. congrats on your preparation and strong lead, though. you've got the next one...

ride: for others said...

Hey thanks brother!