Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Shack and God's Nearness

I read The Shack recently and one thing I loved about it was that it really highlighted the joy filled temperament of God. The other thing that really has stuck with me is the picture of God's intimacy with humanity. As I was reflecting on this I was reminded of how Matthew uses over and over the phrase "kingdom of the heavens". When we pray, "Our Father who art in Heaven" don't we think "far off in Heaven"? I do. But the Jewish understanding of "the heavens" is way different. Remembering biblical examples such as Hagar in the desert (Gen 21:17-19) Moses on the Mountain (Exodus 20), Abraham at the alter with Isaac (Gen 22), Jacob seeing the ladder with angels going up and down (Gen 28) all mention God speaking from "heaven" or the "heavens" which was THE SPACE RIGTH AROUND THEM. And this is most clearly seen in the incarnation of Jesus of course who being the Word became flesh and moved into the neighborhood. The heavens is the space right around us and Our Father who art in Heaven art right around you right now.
Thanks be to God.

"And behold I am with you even to the end of the age"- Jesus

1 comment:

Beka said...

yes