Saturday, July 05, 2008

Freedom for freedom

Jen and I were talking about freedom since we just celebrated the freedom of America yesterday. In an attempt to define what we commonly call "freedom" we landed on this; "The ability to do what I want when I want". I can pretty much say with confidence that is, in general, what was celebrated by most in our country yesterday. I'm positive that this holiday holds much deeper meaning for many in the U.S. Nevertheless, God used this holiday to remind me of my Freedom in Jesus today.
John 8:31-36
31To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. 32Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."
33They answered him, "We are Abraham's descendants[a] and have never been slaves of anyone. How can you say that we shall be set free?"

34Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. 35Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. 36So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

I love this passage. And I think we can easily insert "Americans" in verse 33 for the word "Abraham's descendants" Go ahead and read it out loud using "Americans". Come on, don't be embarrassed. Nobody's lookin'.

And look at the picture of Family you see. It's family language. It's like he's saying, "You're acting like a slave or servant that's picking through the trash for your dinner. Hoarding all you can because you don't know if you'll have enough for tomorrow, thinking of only your survival. But, I'm setting you free. I'm the True Way. You're in the Family. There is an abundance in the Family so come to dinner and eat. Follow me to the table, I'll show you the Way"

God reminded me that my freedom is not the ability to do what I want when I want but, in fact, my freedom is to Want and Do what is good and loving. The ability to become what I was always meant, created, and intended to be, a member of God's family and being about the business of the Family. He reminded me that I don't know what's best for me and therefore doing what I want when I want is many times harmful to me and others. But through the life of Jesus I have seen the kind of person I was created to be. And through the death of Jesus I was freed from the chain of my selfish desires. And through the resurrection of Jesus and his dwelling in me I was given a new heart that is being shaped with new desires and the power to live them out! That is the freedom I'm celebrating today! I'm so thankful that the Son has set us free!

C.S Lewis said it's not that we are too hard to satisfy but that we are far too easily satisfied. We're happy playing in a mud puddle when we could have a day at the beach with our Father. Freedom is to desire a weekend at the beach with the Father and strength to take his hand as he pulls us out of the puddle.

No comments: